Sunday, April 15, 2012

A New Problem for my Online Writing: Tweetmeme

This online writing venture is full of obstacles not just the ones that are existing at any point of time but new ones keep cropping up every now and then. Why is it getting so hard man?

Recently our blog host, BLOGGER changed the URLs of Indian blogs from .blogspot.com to .blogspot.in. That didn't immediately affect the search engine traffic though. But it did increase the future SEO difficulties of the site by creating uncertainty over its page rank visibility.

Google page ranks have disappeared overnight. Now the social bookmarking site tweetmeme that is based on tweets is removing that tweeted pages that have only 1 tweet. Tweetmeme was one main reason why I do tweeting. It was a PR7 site giving a simple backlink. I give a link back to it to make it little powerful as the tweeted page itself is noway to be accessible from anywhere else other than from what I tweet. Now the past few tweets that are single tweets have all gone.

On one hand, I couldn't quantify whether tweetmeme is having any effect on my articles at all. On other hand, my options are shrinking.

Looks like getting social on some bookmarking sites is not an option now for the web-2.0-member-cum-web-1.0 admins but mandatory.

3 comments:

Rhodora said...

Hi Raju,

Your site can be accessed with the blogspot.com and blogspot.in extensions. Is there a disadvantage if your blog has two URLs? Checked the page ranks of both sites and they have the same PR. That's weird. I lost my blog's page rank the moment I bought my domain name and dropped the blogspot extension in my URL. Anyway, I'm not familiar with Tweetmeme and so with Twitter. I suddenly became interested because you mentioned the backlinks given by each tweet. Will study it.

Dinesh Raju said...

Hi Rhodora,

I initially figured that we need to comment on the tweetmeme website instead of just tweeting it to retain the linked page there. But I noticed that regardless of tweet or twee-ment, that page is getting deleted after a few days. May be five days. I have been tracking this since last week and I noticed that I am not alone. Others tweetmemes too have gone missing.

Also I noticed that if there are atleast two tweets they are remaining. That means within those five days we need to double tweet or increase tweets to more than one. Then it stays there and we can retweet any other time. Don't know how this will change in the future but for now I have found solution for this. I will do an experiment some time to see if at all these are having any effect. Given that I have two good blogs I may not need such a site anymore. I can work out with the combination of these two and any favorite bookmarking sites. Or I am also thinking about working on my other blogs or setting up more. I guess I won't register new domain names yet as it is going to create even more work. I will settle with blogger for my blogs and register domains only when I start new websites with different themes.

Dinesh Raju said...

Also I don't know if there is a disadvantage in having two URLs. But as one of them redirects quickly to the other it is fine as per what read at other bloggers. You can also find my blog under these urls:
http://wabunt.blogspot.com.au
http://wabunt.blogspot.co.uk
etc. This even more weird actually :) And all interlinked pages on them too have same domain extensions as the parent one except the links within them remain same as I kept which is to .blogspot.in.

The older .com still shows its PR because there may be sites linking to it. May be some Triond articles. Or may be it will gone after next Google PR update which may take a long time or short time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...